The Biblical Case for Tithing

The issue of tithing is an interesting topic. I myself am torn on this issue. For a while I didn't see how tithing was so important. I also had an incident in my old church where I was scolded for not tithing, which made me not want to tithe even more. Last year I did a rambling video about the issue of tithing, and so this video will be like a sequel. But if you want to watch the original video I did about tithing, you can find it on YouTube, BitChute, and BitTube.

Personal feelings aside, there are good and biblical reasons to tithe. Here's what Jesus says in Matthew 6:19-21. "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt; and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also". This means that by tithing, we are storing up treasures in heaven, instead of hoarding things on earth.

Another reason to tithe is that tithing is our way of saying that we trust God with our money. When we tithe, we give up 10% of our income to the Lord. We do this to say that we trust God to provide for us. God is the one who gives us what we have. And by giving 10%, we give just a little bit back, and by doing so we trust that we can get by with the remaining 90%. Tithing puts God first, and it gives God the honor and glory.

Tithing is also a way to discipline yourself. It teaches you to give to others, instead of keeping everything you have for yourself. We are supposed to help people in need and we are supposed to also help our brothers and sisters in Christ. As one Body of Christ, each body part is supposed to help. And tithing help support everyone financially.

Now, there is a catch to all this. No one should tithe because they feel like they have to, because that's giving begrudgingly. 2 Corinthians 9:7 says the following: "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loves a cheerful giver.". This means that when we give our tithes and offerings, it should never feel forced. We have to want to tithe, in order to give cheerfully. And that desire can be hard to find sometimes. Especially if we are struggling financially or had traumatic memories of how badly some people treated you all because you didn't tithe.

That's the struggle I'm facing. I want to tithe because I know I am pleasing God by doing so and helping the church, but bad memories always come back to me which causes me to give begrudgingly out of fear, guilt, and mandate. I think of all the times I could have tithed, but didn't. Only to finally be scolded. But that's not how it should be. I want to be the cheerful giver that God wants me to be. And I will need help and prayers in order to do so.

Anyway, this concludes my blog on tithing. I hope it gave you something to think about and I hope you learned something too that will help you better yourself. God bless, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Notable Blogs

Exodus 20:4 and the Shroud of Turin

Otherkin: A Christian Examination

Quake Champions: A laggy and frustrating experience